Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Spicy Asian Chicken Noodle Soup


Remember that cold I was whinin' about the other day?  Well I decided to try to burn it out of me.

This soup was fire.  In a good way.  I guess I didn't realize that red curry was so spicy.  Add jalapenos and sriracha and you've got the cure for the common cold.  Okay, maybe not, but it sure as heck cleared me up while I was eating it.  The Dad and I both put away two bowls.  Really good.  I wouldn't recommend it for your kids, unless they're on board with major heat.  I did plain 'ol chicken noodle for our munchkins.


This one came out of the Rachel Ray magazine.

Here's the recipe with my notes:

Spicy Asian Chicken Noodle Soup
Printable Recipe

Ingredients:

1 chicken breast (12oz), skin discarded (I used a boneless, skinless 'cause it's what I had)
6 C chicken broth
2 C water
2 tsp red curry paste
5 oz rice noodles
1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
4 scallions, sliced
1/2 bunch cilantro (I was so bummed to find mine brown and mushy, so we couldn't use it)
1 lime, cut into wedges for serving
I also added sliced jalapenos, fresh bean sprouts, peanuts and sriracha for serving




Directions:

In a large saucepan, bring the chicken, broth and water to a simmer.  Lower the heat, cover and simmer until the chicken is cooked through, 30 minutes.  Remove the chicken; let cool.  Shred the meat; reserve.  Return the bones to the broth, bring to a boil and reduce by about one-third.

Strain the broth. (Since my chicken didn't have bones, I just threw it back in the strained broth after shredding it.)  Whisk the curry paste into the broth and return to a simmer over medium-high heat.  Add the noodles and bell pepper and cook until the noodles are just tender, about 3 minutes.  Stir in the chicken.

Ladle the soup into bowls and top with the scallions, bean sprouts, jalapenos, peanuts, and cilantro leaves.  Serve with the lime wedges and sriracha.

Eat and prepare to clear out your sinuses.  So good.

I know this is weird, but we had bread with butter and jelly to go with.  It was a good mouth cooler between bites.

Here's dinner in my bowl:
(I miss my camera already!)





My nose could use another bowl right now.

Check out my sidebar for the parties I link up with.

3 comments:

  1. That sounds good but I can't take the spices with the anti-inflammatory I take-xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. MMM my dh would love this recipe!! he loves everything and anything spicy! and it's perfect for a cold or for when the weather is rainy!! thanks for sharing

    www.lilmsadventures.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, that would just about kill me. I think I'll have to sit at the kid's table and chicken noodle. :) Glad it opened you up though.

    ReplyDelete

I love and appreciate all your comments. So don't be shy, just say it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover